Friday, November 6, 2009

Bringing my boy home from the hospital

Today, my son Benjamin is getting discharged from the hospital after surgery on Monday to remove the mass in his pelvic cavity. The surgeon considered the operation a success, having been able to remove most of the mass (he said it was not possible to take all of it out without causing damage to other organs). So there is a possibility, as there was the first time the surgery was done, for regrowth.

Benjamin has lesions but they look like they're subsiding due to the intravenous immunoglobulins (IVIG) he received prior to surgery. We are praying that the surgery and the IVIG will do the trick and put this disease to rest for good.

He has been very diligent to follow the doctor's orders to stand up and walk by today in order to gain discharge. I have to admit that I dangled a sushi dinner to motivate him. It seems to have worked.

I can't wait until he comes home today.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Super happy to hear this! What a nightmare this has been and yet you have dealt with everything so well. Congrats on this important milestone. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things continue to improve.