Friday, May 17, 2013

A Letter to My Parents

The days are long but the years are short. That’s the sentence that sums up life since having my two daughters. I am at the start of this unrelenting parenthood trip but I already have a new respect for the parents you were to me.
You gave me an exceptional childhood. My needs were always met, not just the food, water, shelter kind, but the bigger stuff. I always felt cared for and most days you just made me feel like a good kid. You taught me to work hard, always keep your dignity and treat people well.
This is a note to say thank you.
To my father. You are probably one of the finest people I have ever encountered.  I think everyone who has been fortunate enough to know you would agree with me. You live your life with integrity and a goodness that not many people possess. Perhaps the finest thing about you, is your humility. I didn’t realize what a first-rate quality humility was until I started meeting a few people who were lacking. “Shoulders back girl” that’s the message you drilled into me as a kid. I try to remember it as I move towards middle age, literally and figuratively. A childhood on a dairy farm in Mt Mee, serving a tour of duty in Vietnam, a career as a Maths and Geology teacher, father to three kids and grandfather to seven. These are the chapters of your life and you filled each part with dependability, dignity and a quiet calmness that steady’s everyone around you.

A few things my father taught me
1)      “I’ll pass on that thanks” (the no fail way to just say no to anything)
2)      Ease up on the coffee
3)      Some conflicts can be resolved with a letter
4)      Say nothing
To my mother. You possess the qualities I wish I had. Conviction being first and foremost.  You could make a decision and jump in without looking back. As a kid I sometimes wished for the kind of mum that baked cakes and didn’t cause a fuss. Instead you went to work, spoke up (often), and thought cakes best bought from a store. When I think of your life and the adventures you’ve had across England, Germany, New York and Australia I’m grateful for your bravery. You left your home at a time when young women just didn’t leave home. You once told me the best thing you did for your kids was choose the father we had.  You should give yourself credit. Mum you are always first to take my arm and give it a squeeze, you are my biggest advocate and the one person I crave when I’m feeling off. I admire you and you’re my closest friend.

A few things my mother taught me
1)      Always have clean hair
2)      Stick with people who make you feel good
3)      Appreciate what you have when you have it
4)      Make a decision and stick with it
Last week you told me the past 30 years had gone by so fast. For me those 30 years were shaped and formed with you two at the helm. I hold the moments of my childhood so close to my heart and I have high hopes that I can shape a similar childhood for my girls.

Love your daughter
Elizabeth

No comments: