Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pregnant Leanne: Week 40 of pregnancy - Only the lonely

March 9, 2010: Week 40 of pregnancy

Well, no babies yet! Four days past my due date and my parents have taken to calling me the "ticking time bomb." With nothing left to organize or clean, I'm going a little crazy at home by myself. Every time I eat something I think, Leanne, this could be your last meal as a NON-MOTHER or This could be your last cup of HOT tea. I’ve heard new moms manage to suck back only lukewarm beverages--something I don’t yet understand.

I’ve taken comfort in the fact that less than five percent of babies are born on their due date. However, that doesn’t mean the two-week window before induction isn’t looming large. As each new day ticks by sans baby, my anxiety and fear about the birth is being replaced with, "Can we just get on with it?!"

The other day, in a teary moment of unabashed, indulgent, feeling-sorry-for-myself-ness, I realized that I need to look on the freaking bright side. I am so grateful to be experiencing pregnancy, something I’ve always wished for. I have an amazing, sympathetic, funny and kind hubby to share this adventure with. So really, no matter how the whole birth-thing goes, lucky me!

(Note to self: re-read this in 3 weeks when it’s 2 a.m., my hair is unwashed and the baby won’t stop crying…!)

No comments: