Monday, December 14, 2009

Delivery room dilemma: Would you watch your sister give birth?

My sister is pregnant. We are all thrilled!

She has mentioned that we, her sisters, are welcome to be in the delivery room when the big day arrives. While two of my sisters jumped at the chance, I held back. Why? I am, after all, the founder and editor of urbanbaby & toddler magazine, a mother with two children of her own, and also her sister. And here I sit, admitting I'm not exactly saying, "Pick me! Pick me!"

I'm squeamish about seeing my sister in the throes of labour and delivery: it's messy, loud, and stressful. I know! I've been there. I would be there in a heartbeat, if she said directly that she wants me there, but she hasn't. So, it's up to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My feeling has always been strongly that this time-labour and delivery should be strictly between husband and wife. Should husband not be available,(out of town etc) than ONE person of Mom's specific choice. I worked L & D for years and formed this opinion both from that experience and having my own (back in the days when Dads weren't allowed)

Anonymous said...

I think there is something so spiritual and organic to surround yourself with the people who love you most at a time when you are most vulnerable. We keep a close community of those we trust available to us everyday why not on the most important day of your life. When a woman has no control in labor I found it so helpful, reassuring, beautiful, etc. to be surrounded by the people I love. Go to your sister's birth! If she told you that you were welcome she probably does want you.