Monday, October 31, 2016

10 Tips for a Safe Halloween

1. Glow-in-the-dark jewelry and glow sticks are used by parents to keep their children visible while trick-or-treating in the dark. Children may break open these glow sticks getting the liquid on their hands and in their mouths. The liquid can be mildly irritating to the skin or eyes but is not likely to cause harm if a small amount is ingested.

2. Children should not eat treats until they return home and all items have been inspected by an adult.

3.Limit the amount of candy ingested at one time. Too much candy can cause stomach discomfort, and sugars and other sweeteners can act as laxatives when consumed in large amounts.

4. If a child brings home a brand of candy that is not familiar, throw it away. Some imported candies have high levels of lead that can be harmful.

5. Candy that is unwrapped should be discarded immediately.

6. Fruit treats should be washed and cut open before being eaten.
7. Homemade treats should be discarded unless the individuals who
prepared them are well known and trusted.

8. Little pieces of candy are potential choking hazards for small children.

9. Torn, loose, or punctured wrapping may be a sign of tampering.
Tampering should be reported to local police.

10. Some Halloween makeup contains lead as do many regular cosmetics. Check for safe makeup to use on children.

No comments: