Saturday, March 5, 2016

Performance Review: Go, Dog, Go!

Go, Dog. Go! marked our third visit to a performance by the Carousel Theatre for Young People. We will certainly be going again! This particular play is an amusing musical adaptation of the contemporary kids’ classic by P.D. Eastman. The story comes to life in a burst of colour and sound that is perfect for the littles. But don’t take my word for it. Jacob and Ava, both 5 years old, share their thoughts below.

We were welcomed by an attractive set in a simple and bold palette of yellow, green, red and blue. Reminiscent of the illustrations in the book by P.D. Eastman, the set immediately pulled us into the Go, Dog. Go! world. Gleeful little voices shouted, “I have that book” as they entered the theatre.

Children pushed to the edge of their seats, eyes wide open with anticipation, waiting for the show to begin. A colourful and wacky cast of canines sang and danced us through the familiar scenes: dogs at work, dogs at night, dogs at play, and of course dogs at a dog party. As a parent, delighted squeals and laughter from the smallest members of the audience confirmed that the play was a hit! Kids chimed in to well known verses, “Green dog on a blue tree!”

“I knew it! I knew those dogs were going to a dog party!” shouted Ava. “The yellow dog was my favourite. She seemed so nice.”

Jacob loved the part with the cars going around and around, “It was so funny!”

The crowd favourite was undeniably, Hattie. The dialogue, on repeat, at my home since the show has been something like this:

Jacob, “Ask me if I like your hat?”
Me: “Do you like my hat?”
Jacob: “No, I do not! (laughing wildly) That’s so funny, right mom?”

Go, Dog. Go! continues to play at the Waterfront Theatre on Granville Island from February 27 to March 20, 2016. The production runs for 60 minutes and is recommended for Ages 3-8 and their families.

For more info go to: www.carouseltheatre.ca/production/go-dog-go/

No comments: