Hello can you say “Heat Wave!” Even with right sun protection, it’s just too hot for kids to play outside. Your family maybe lucky enough to have air conditioning and your child may prefer to stay indoors during these dog days of summer, but how do you keep them from watching hours of television? Here are 15 ideas to keep the kids happy and busy until the heat wave passes:
1. Board Games: Have a board game completion with the winner receiving a special prize
2. Have an Indoor Picnic: Gather the kids and make finger sandwiches, veggies and cool drinks. Spread a blanket on the living room floor for a fun family lunch.
3. Car Races: Use painter’s tape on the floor to make roads.
4. Rock Band: Rock out using toy instruments and create your own songs.
5. Photo Albums: Look through baby books with your children and tell them stories of when they were born.
6. Play Grocery Store: Let the kids ‘shop’ for items around the house and have them ‘checkout’ using fake money. Perfect for kids learning to count money.
7. Silly Photos: Use a camera to capture special moments or make it funny and have your kids make silly faces into the camera.
8. Homemade Play Dough: Use natural food colouring to make it edible.
9. Craft Time: Create a picture for grandma or grandpa using items like marshmallows, noodles, pretzels or use non-food items like buttons, photographs in magazines and scraps of fabric.
10. Balloon Toss: Hit a balloon back and forth while trying to keep it off the ground.
11. Build a Fort: Use couches, chair and lots of bed sheets.
12. Go to your Local Library: Borrow some books for summer reading fun.
13. Make a Pet Rock: Paint rocks that your child has picked up from outside and decorate with funny faces.
14. Make a Spider Web: Tie string to railings across from each other and have the kids try to get from one end to the other without touching the string.
15. Puzzle Time: Find a big surface and put together a puzzle together.
No matter what age your children are, there is bound to be something on this list that you can do with your kids to beat the summertime heat. They have their own ideas as well!
CRAZY LEGS by Endless Games is proud to sponsor this week’s Active Family Photo Contest!
CRAZY LEGS is a new kids game that gets players UP and MOVING! Each space on the game board represents a new physical challenge for children and families to JUMP, TWIST, SHAKE, and EXERCISE their way to victory!
This Week Enter to Win:
A copy of CRAZY LEGS board game for your family. Enter at www.urbanbaby.ca