Mother's Day is right around the corner and much like Christmas, I know a lot of men can get so busy they put off getting gifts for Mothers until last-minute. Here is a quick sweet and inexpensive Mothers Day Gift idea that is perfect for any mother or grandmother. It takes about an hour to complete depending on your little artist!
Due to the use of permanent markers, I would suggest this project for at least over one-years old and be supervised.
You will need:
- One plain white coffee mug from the Dollar store for $1.25
- Oil based Sharpie markers (can be found at Walmart) You can use water based Sharpies, however, over time and washes, the colours will start to come off. Beware when using water based sharpies, some colours will bake right off or not be as vibrant a colour later.
- Gift to put inside, for this we planted a yellow pansy inside but you can fill it with your favourite treats, or candies. You can even put a gift card inside for a spa/shopping trip (hint, hint Dad)
1. Set out all items needed.
2. Let child draw whatever they want. It's always good to encourage them to draw and then let it dry for a second cause you risk it getting on skin if you rub your hand across too soon.
3. Once they are happy with how it looks you're ready for the final step. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes!
4. Once the mug has cooled down, remove from oven. Once completely cooled, you can fill it with whatever gift you have chosen for that special Mama in your life, we have planted out flower inside the mug!
You now have your last-minute DIY Sharpie Mug Mother's Day gift! You can really tailor this mug for any occasion and even be used for Fathers Day or end of the year teacher gifts.
Janette Shearer is a Mommy Blogger for Vancity Mommy D, wife and mother to two little girls 6 year old Ava and 6 month old Zoe. All Photos courtesy of Janette Shearer. www.vancitymommyd.com