I am guilty of raising kids who don't know Sesame Street. It seems impossible, especially because I absolutely love Sesame Street and have since I was a child. But the other night, I mentioned Oscar the Grouch to my 5-year-old daughter Lauren and she stared back blankly at me. "Who's that?" she asked.
And I realized that my kids have never really watched Sesame Street. In fact, I don't even know when Sesame Street is on or what channel it's on. And so my children have been deprived of one of the most entertaining TV shows the world has ever known. I can't imagine a child's world without the bickering between Bert and Ernie, the gluttonous Cookie Monster, the energy and earnestness of Grover, the obsessive-compulsive Count, the child-like Big Bird.... the list goes on. Oh, I am a bad mommy.
A few of my favourite Sesame Street skits:
- Grover demonstrating "near" and "far"
- Bert doing the pigeon dance
- Grover and a Sesame Street kid singing "G, Grover; G, George"
- the baker balancing strawberry shortcakes on his arms walking down the stairs
- Big Bird trying to learn how to whistle
- Bob singing "You've Got a Friend"
Do your kids watch Sesame Street? Did you watch Sesame Street? What are your favourite skits?